After trying some delicious strawberry balsamic jam from Anarchy in a Jar following a visit to Smorgasburg, the inspiration to make jam at home hit hard. However, city living got in the way– there’s no room for a pressure cooker in my city apartment plus, do any NYC stores actually sell pectin?! Not to fear, a phone call to the Midwest to request a care package of pectin and an internet search for freezer jam recipes saved the day!
Unfortunately, said inspiration hit too late in the season to use fresh ingredients, but frozen berries did just the trick. Taking a page from this recipe, give our Mixed Berry Balsamic Freezer Jam a try! We made a small, apartment sized batch the first go around, but the recipe can definitely be adjusted for the amount you want to make. Around the holidays, we just might be quadrupling it!
Mixed Berry Balsamic Freezer Jam (makes 4 8 oz. jars)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups mixed berries, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons real fruit instant pectin
- Place vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. Cool over medium high heat and reduce to half original amount. Set aside to cool.
- Combine vinegar, berries and salt. Mash until juices are just released with some berries maintaining their shape.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar and pectin. Add to berry mixture and stir for 3 minutes.
- Pour into clean jars, leaving about 3/4 inch at the top to allow jam to expand in freezer. Thaw in refrigerator when ready to enjoy.
We love the slightly sweet, slightly tart flavor of this jam and will certainly make more soon. Please let us know if you give it a try!