Looking for a quick recipe for Sunday Supper or to get through a week of lunches? Give our homemade Easy Tomato Tortilla Soup a try! We love this recipe because it is easy to make and easy to tweak to particular moods and tastes.
Easy Tomato Tortilla Soup (makes 4-5 servings)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small white onion (or more, depending on taste), chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken soup broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes (we like Trader Joe’s Diced and Fire Roasted Organic Tomatoes with Green Chilies)
- 1 large beefstock tomato, chopped
- 1 chipotle in adobo (Add more or less depending on your preferred level of spice!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips, broken up
- Lightly brown garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add broth, canned tomatoes, chopped tomatoes and chipotle pepper, allow to simmer.
- Blend all ingredients using immersion or regular blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with avocado, shredded cheese, limes and tortilla chips when serving.
If you’re looking for a little protein, add chicken, black beans or lentils to the soup. As always, please let us know if you give it a try!