Like most people who bake regularly, we have a few “go-to” recipes for when something sweet is in order. One of them is Lemon Poppyseed Bread, using this recipe from the Joy of Baking.
Tangy fresh lemon combined with the texture of poppyseeds and a sweet/tart sugary glaze provides the perfect morning snack. In fact, we’ve made this recipe a few times over the last few weeks– to bring along on a road trip, as a treat for an extended work meeting, and just because. Not only do we love the flavor, but we love the fact that we generally have all the ingredients in our pantry so it’s easy to whip up without much notice. Let us know what you think if you whip it up– and please share your go-to recipes with us!
Lemon Poppyseed Bread (makes 1 loaf)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 T grated lemon zest (the outside skin of 1 lemon)
- 2 1/2 T poppyseeds
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter/spray the sides and bottom of a loaf pan.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest and poppyseeds; set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat butter until softened and add sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Slowly add the flour and milk, mix until just combined.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown.
- For the glaze, mix the lemon juice and the sugar in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- When bread is done, remove from oven and immediately cover with glaze. Allow the bread to sit in the pan for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy! (Tip: this bread is even better when left overnight for the flavors to mingle!)